- 1 cup raw cashews, untoasted and unroasted
- 1 teaspoon ocean sea salt
- warm non-chlorinated water, enough to cover
- Put cashews in a bowl and sprinkle the sea salt over them.
- Add enough warm water to cover them.
- Leave them to soak in a warm place (room temperature) for 7 hours only – see Note.
- Drain off the water (do not rinse them), and pat them dry with a towel.
- To dry them spread them out on a cookie sheet, and put them on the lowest shelf in the oven, with only the oven light on for 12 hours, or more if necessary.
- Be cautious when drying nuts, since even when only using the oven light they can still burn, so check them and turn them over as needed. They can also be air dried at room temperature but it will take longer.
- Store nuts in glass containers with lids on them and keep them in the refrigerator, otherwise they will tend to get moldy.
Note: Cashews must not be soaked any longer than 7 hours. They have already been through one soaking in their initial processing. If they are soaked too long they will be bitter.