© Bee Wilder, Revised December 21, 2011 to correct information about ghee, and intolerances to butter.
Some people believe they are intolerate of the proteins in dairy products because of their reactions, so they have ghee instead. Ghee is a process that removes milk proteins, including casein, from butterfat. However, proteins in butterfat are not the reason for such reactions, since all Healing Foods, Herbs & Spices Create Healing Reactions. Note: Ghee is not as healthy as butter because it does not contain important proteins.
Makes 3/4 cup.
- 1 cup (1/2 pound) butter, unsalted
- cheesecloth for straining
- Place butter in a small bowl in an oven set at 200°F for 1/2 hour.
- The butter will melt and foam will rise to the top and form a crust. Carefully skim off the foam.
- To remove every trace of milk solids, pour the butter through a strainer lined with cheesecloth.
- Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.