Contributed by Jen, June 2006
Oil of Oregano is “physician only” in Australia. This means that you need a Naturopath or a Doctor to give you a recommendation or prescription for it. This part is easy. The hard part is actually finding and buying oil of oregano in Australia. That is because it is by prescription only, so that pharmacies and health stores may not stock it or be able to order it. Ordering on-line (internet) from overseas is the easiest option, however not all websites that supple oil of oregano will ship it to Australia.
Healthy Health Oil of Oregano provides you with a high quality oil which contains 84.54% Carvacrol. They also have an extra strength product available. It is easy to order online: www.healthy-health.com.
Joy of the Mountains Oil of Oregano www.joyofthemountains.com offer 75% to 85% Carvacrol, which cannot be purchased through their website. They also have an extra strength product. It can be purchased through www.healthsmart2000.com but they require a minimum purchase of CAD100 for international orders and will not accept a credit card for payment. You will need to send a “money order in Canadian funds” prior to shipment. No doubt there are other web sites out there that may freight this product to Australia but it would take a Google search.
St Francis Herb Farm Oreganum Plus — we couldn’t find a website it can be ordered from.
Wellness Wild Oregano Oil do not ship to Australia.
Nature’s Answer Oil of Oregano do not ship to Australia.
Wild Oregano P73 — we cannot find a website it can be ordered from.
Hedd Wyn Wild Oil of Oregano — we aren’t going to research where this oil can be ordered because it is not as good as the others above.
AQIS (Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service) has strict regulations as to what can be brought into Australia. AQIS term Oil of Oregano as “vegetable oil.” It is ok to import to Australia, see: Import Conditions Database – ICON – AQIS.
How much food can I import for private consumption? The amount of food a person may import for private consumption depends upon the kind of food so please read the following carefully.
The amounts allowed per person are:
- For a food that is in liquid form, less than 10 liters. NOTE: Lesser limits may apply to alcoholic beverages under Customs laws;
- For food that is not in liquid form, less than 10 kilograms;
- For concentrated liquid foods that are used in the preparation of other foods and not usually consumed unless as part of other prepared foods, not more than 2 liters;
- For moisture reduced foods (however packed) other than liquid foods, that are used in the preparation of other foods and not usually consumed unless as part of other prepared foods, not more than 2 kilograms;
- Spices (however packed) that are used in the preparation of other foods and not usually consumed unless as part of other prepared foods, total net weight of not more than 1 kilogram.
Please contact your nearest AQIS Regional office or the Imported Food Program if you are unsure about the category for the food you wish to import.
If anyone else has any additional information to contribute please email Bee: email@example.com.